Academic Year Abroad Siena at the Università degli Studi & the Università per Stranieri
General Background | La Direttrice | Academics | Cultural Activities | Program Dates
Room & Board | Life as a Student in Siena | Fees & Financial Aid | Requirements & Application Procedure
||Fall 2013/Spring 2014:
||2013-2014 Academic Year:
The BASIC FEE is required of all participants. Included in this fee:
- Provision of all necessary documents for
obtaining the Italian student visa
- Pre-inscription and tuition at the Università degli Studi or the Università per Stranieri (for intensive
Italian language study).
- Orientation led by the AYA Siena
Director, including mini tours, tutorials and lectures, grammar
review, course placement and registration
- Academic guidance and tutoring throughout
the semester or year (when requested)
- Official transcripts (including an official copy of the libretto di studio) and recommendations (when requested)
- Public transportation pass for unlimited
travel within Siena
- An extensive program of group activities occurring every one or two weeks, including
- Outings within Siena ~ students attend plays, concerts, visit a museum or
an art gallery
- Day-trips outside Siena ~ tours of Florence, San Gimignano, and Pisa,
- Overnight excursions ~ such as a weekend trip to Rome or Venice
- Thanksgiving dinner with the Director
The AYA BASIC FEE does not cover transportation, health or accident insurance, or any liability on the part of the student for damage done to a third party. A deposit of $500 is required when the Contract is signed. Should the applicant wish to withdraw before the beginning of the term, $300 of this deposit is refundable to the extent that AYA has not incurred tuition or other expenses on the student's behalf.
|OPTIONAL HOUSING FEE
The optional HOUSING FEE covers AYA-arranged housing in an Italian home and, as one option, includes breakfast and dinner every day except Sundays during the academic term, and room but not board during the Christmas and Easter holidays. All housing is contracted for the semester. A $500 deposit is required with the return of the Contract. This down-payment is refundable before the beginning of the semester if AYA has not incurred housing expenses on the student's behalf.
AYA students often study overseas on federal grants/loans and scholarships from their home colleges and universities. An AYA applicant presently receiving financial aid should immediately make an appointment with his/her college's financial aid officer to discuss the possibility of extending the aid to study abroad. Often, this requires the home school to recognize the study overseas as part of study towards the student's degree. This usually involves the signing of a simple consortium agreement with AYA. In support of a financial aid application, AYA will provide an attestation that an applicant will be enrolled as a full-time student at a bona fide institution of higher learning: its staff will facilitate the student's request for financial aid in every possible way, but AYA is not authorized to certify HSL and Stafford Loans; this must be done by the student's college or university. When the student is admitted, his/her college or university must provide written notification to AYA of the nature, amount, and date of payment of the student's financial aid.
Several AYA scholarships are available each semester to students who qualify. Please contact the AYA office for more information.